* License will be required for the practice of contracting in North Carolina for any job over $30,000
* Pre-approval from the state is required to sit for the examination.
* The license has three basic types
– Financial limit per project is $500,000 and in order to qualify the applicant must show that their assets exceed liabilities by $17,000 by providing audited financial statements.
– Financial Limit per project is $1,000,000 and in order to qualify the applicant must show that assets exceed liabilities by $75,000 by providing audited financial statements.
– There is no limit on project size, and in order to qualify the applicant must show that assets exceed liabilities by $150,000 by providing audited financial statements
All applicants are required to submit three (3) Letters of Reference.
Letters of Reference should demonstrate to the Board that the applicant is possessed of good character and is qualified as to competency, ability and integrity. References should provide an evaluation of the applicant as to the reference’s general experience with the applicant. References must be no older than 12 months from the date of receipt of the application by the Licensing Board. Reference letters must be written on business letterhead from the provider or the reference provider’s signature must be notarized. Reference should not be from family members or inter‑related companies (for example parent/subsidiaries and their employees). Form letters cannot be accepted.
Applications without the required number of references will be considered incomplete and will be returned.
Board Contact Information:
North Carolina Licensing Board for General Contractors
5400 Creedmoor Road
Raleigh, NC 27612
Website: North Carolina Contractors Board
The application fee for an unlimited license is $125
The application fee for an intermediate license is $100
The application fee for an limited license is $75
To obtain a North Carolina contractor's license application go to North Carolina Application