Utah General Contractor License

Utah General Contractors

State Information. All applicants must take a 20 hour Pre-license course from an approved provider in Utah. CLICK HERE for a list of providers.

Effective May 14, 2019, Trade exams will NOT BE REQUIRED for the B100, R100, and E100 classifications.The Utah Contractor Business and Law Exam is still required for B100, E100, and R100

Below is the Utah Business Law Online Complete Study course. This is the only exam required to obtain your Contractors license. An Application will still need to be submitted to the state.

Utah Business Law and Project Management

State Requirements and Application

Test Information


Permitted Work

Utah Business Law Complete Study Pack

This course covers the required Utah Contractor Business and Law exam. It has everything you need to pass your exam: prep course,reference book,printed book tabs,audio cd,and a printed study guide. This course is required for many Utah State Licenses.

Utah Business Law Prep Course

This review course is for the Utah Business and Law exam. The program consists of online presentations reviewing the reference book, book highlighting, practice exams and a online study guide. It is a required exam by the state of Utah for many licenses.

Utah Business, Law & Project Management 3rd Edition

NASCLA Contractors Guide to Business, Law, and Project Management, Utah Edition. This book is for the Utah Business and Law Exam for State Builder Contractor Licenses. The exam based on this book is also required for various other State Licenses.

State Requirements & Application

* Proof of registration with the appropriate departments.
* Demonstrate financial responsibility.
* Obtain a certificate of general liability with a minimum coverage of $100,000 per incident and $300,000 in total coverage.
* Provide a certificate of Workers' Comp coverage or proof that the company does not have or intend to hire employees
* Provide an unemployment insurance registration number
* Provide a Utah State tax ID
* File an application with the Utah Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing and pay appropriate fees
* Register with the Residence Lien Recovery Fund and pay assessment
* Must have at least two years of proven active experience in the past 10 years. One of those two years shall be in a supervisory or managerial position. A two or four degree in construction management may have one year of experience credited towards the supervisory or managerial experience requirement.
Utah Contractors Requirements

Board Contact Information:

Utah Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing
P.O. Box 146741
Salt Lake City, UT 84114-6741

Phone: 801.530.6628
Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm
Utah Contractors License Board

Frequently Asked Questions: Utah FAQ

Fees: The application fee for a new B-100 or R-100 license is $210. The fee for the Residence Lien Recovery Fund Registration is $195. To obtain a license application and other forms for Utah go to Utah Application


Test Information

Test Information: This test covers information in 11 subject areas. The questions are created from content in the 1 book shown below the following chart.
Candidate Information Bulletin: Click here to download the bulletin.

Exam Information
Exam Fee $72
Number of Questions 60
Passing Score 70%
Time Limit 120 Minutes

Subject Area Number of Questions
Business Organizations 4
Licensing 10
Estimating and Bidding 6
Contract Management 6
Project Management 5
Labor Laws 6
Lien Laws 3
Financial Management 6
Risk Management 5
Tax Laws 5
Safety 4